AIA Austin is the Austin Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, serving over 1,100 members and 200 Allied Members. We are a not-for-profit 501(c)(6). The Austin Foundation for Architecture (AFA) is the non-profit 501(c)(3) partner of AIA Austin.
All AIA Austin/Austin Foundation for Architecture staff members share the following core responsibilities:
- Provide outstanding service and ensure a welcoming culture for Members, Allied Members, and
- Answer basic questions about benefits and value of AIA membership, services, and programs
- Provide member care and customer service responses to frequently asked questions
- Advocate for and communicate the importance of design and the work of architects
- Promote a positive office culture of mutual respect, and maintain a flexible and collaborative
- attitude, working with other staff on projects, events, duties, and assignments as required
- Attend all major Chapter events as needed, including board meetings and retreats, various
- committee events, Design Talks speaker series, Principals Breakfasts, Jury Conversations events,
- Design Awards Celebration, Homes Tour, National CACE Meeting, State Convention, Summer
- Conference, and Holiday Party.
The Membership/Communications Manager serves to help members manage their membership and understand the value of membership, collaborates with the Executive Director and staff to develop and implement new membership outreach programs to promote recruitment and retention, and serves as the liaison between AIA National’s membership services and AIA Austin members. The Membership/Communications Manager also manages communications between the Chapter and AIA members, the media, and the public to promote events and programming including production and distribution of the weekly newsletter, Archi-Facts, and monthly newsletter, Point Perspective, as well as social media and editing for aiaaustin.org and aiaaustinhomestour.com. The Membership/Communications Manager manages branding efforts and outreach collateral including Annual Reports, brochures, and signage.
- Be a welcoming and informed resource for all membership-related issues
- Actively work to enhance membership recruitment and retention efforts
- Maintain and update member records through the AMS system
- Generate membership reports and gather membership data through the AMS system for recruitment and retention efforts
- Welcome new members with written personal communication and in newsletters
- With Executive Director and staff, formulate programs to recruit and maintain members, and
- participate in implementing ideas
- Collaborate with AIA National membership division staff to keep abreast of new programs and services and implement them for AIA Austin members, and update aiaaustin.org with membership information
- Strategize and execute efforts for continued benefits, recruitment, and retention of members
- Serve as the staff liaison for numerous AIA Austin Committees
- Other duties as assigned.
- Produce weekly newsletter, Archi-Facts, and monthly newsletter, Point Perspective
- Update AIA Austin and Austin Foundation for Architecture social media accounts with relevant info, event information, and other topics of interest to members, allied members, and the general public
- Keep websites updated through extensive work in CMS platforms
- Create graphics for website, printed, and electronic use
- Create engaging social media campaigns and generate content for social media channels
- Collaborate with Executive Director to publicize Chapter events and programs, working with local and national media outlets
- Liaison to committees as needed
- Experience using graphic design software, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Web editing experience, especially Drupal
- Extensive social media experience
- Marketing and/or membership association experience a plus
- Experience working with the media and/or public relations experience a plus
- Must be an excellent communicator, with great writing skills and the ability to interface with a variety of personalities
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, take responsibility for meeting deadlines, and be a skilled problem solver
- Not-for-profit experience a plus
- Strong organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail are a must
Position requires frequent and regular computer and telephone use. Workplace is a smoke and drugfree environment. Equal opportunity employer. Hours are 8:30 to 6pm Monday – Thursday, and 8:30am to noon on Fridays, with some evening and weekend hours required.
Applications must include cover letter describing interest in this position and resume including two professional references. Email to Ingrid[at]aiaaustin[dot]org with Membership/Communications Manager in email subject line. No phone calls will be accepted regarding this position.