The Texas Section of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE Texas Section) is accepting resumes from qualified applicants to serve as a full-time Communications Manager.
Who we are: ASCE Texas Section is a member-driven nonprofit organization supported by a small staff in Austin. We have 10,000 members throughout the state as well as 15 local Branches, 17 Student Chapters, and 6 Technical Institute Chapters. We advance our communities through the development of civil engineers as leaders who create a legacy of service through: technical proficiency, educational opportunities, and professional advocacy. We do this by providing members with a leadership laboratory, high-quality technical content, and statewide events. There’s a lot to know about us; please check us out online: www.TexASCE.org
Who we want: The Communications Manager is an innovative communicator with a passion for graphic design and a successful background in marketing, social media administration, and communications, preferably in a nonprofit setting. Our organization needs a narrator who is eager to craft and share the stories of civil engineers who are building a better quality of life across the street and around the world. The Communications Manager is team player who is data and results driven, technologically savvy, demonstrates a deep understanding of our organization’s brand and voice, and can communicate effectively to multiple audiences about our work. The Communications Manager believes a marketing plan should be developed alongside a program or event, not as an afterthought.
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, or Marketing, or equivalent experience
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products, HTML, and Adobe Creative Cloud Applications including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Familiarity with Yourmembership.com website platform or similar Content Resource Management Solutions
- Social media administration with strong knowledge and understanding of current trends
- Innovative editing, layout and design, and professional printing skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; Dependable and detail-oriented
- Ability to lead a team of members (i.e., volunteers) and manage relationships with multiple contractors
Bonus points if you also bring:
- Experience with a nonprofit organization, such as a 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(6)
- Experience with Archival Digital Asset Management software including keywords and categorization
- Event photography and video experience
- Experience drafting press releases and pitching stories to media outlets
- Blogging experience
Your general job duties (by percentage of total time) will include:
- Internal and External Communications (60%)
- Establish and maintain communications vehicles for ASCE Texas Section: Draft and communicate key association messages, news announcements, press releases, e-newsletters, and articles in trade publications.
- Promote association members and leadership through all communication channels.
- Edit, design and manage the publication of the Texas Civil Engineer quarterly magazine. Solicit articles and procure graphics/images with the support of ASCE Texas Section’s Editorial Committee.
- Promote events: Student Symposium, Texas Civil Engineering Conference, webinars, and leadership training
- Website Maintenance: Create and update blogs, event and registration pages, advertisements, calendar, store, and graphics. Report on website and email analytics.
- Branding and Marketing (30%)
- Create, maintain, and communicate brand standards for association and Texas Civil Engineering Conference.
- Develop content campaigns for use on website, in e-newsletters, and social media.
- Assist Conference Planning Committee including project management, meeting planning, HTML email campaigns, social media, advertisements, trade show materials, and promotional items.
- Work with members to populate electronic apps with conference information.
- Create, distribute and report on surveys.
- Organization Support (10%)
- Assist members and leadership with presentations, articles, and self-promotion
- Maintain digital archive using metadata
- Create quarterly Communications Reports
- Facilitate webinars and online meetings
- Research software and new media outlets
ASCE Texas Section offers a generous leave and benefits package, including PTO and company contributions to both medical benefits and 401(k) retirement savings plan. In addition, we offer a fun, flexible work environment, company sponsored activities, and a commitment to support each employee’s endeavors in continuing education. The selected applicant will report to the Executive Director.
Compensation: $40,000 to $50,000 annual salary based on qualifications
Location: 1524 S. IH-35, Suite 180, Austin, Texas 78704
Hours: Full-time, flexible between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM
Start Date: August 7, 2017
Ready to join our team?
Please submit your resume and any supporting information electronically by July 23, 2017 to:
Lindsay O’Leary, P.E., LEED AP, Texas Section ASCE Executive Director at LOLeary[at]TexASCE[dot]org